A Place with a Past
great old building appeared on Stevenson’s tax rolls
in 1910, just two years after the first train and first automobile
arrived in town. Built by Lewis Aalvik from timber cut on his
homestead, the structure adjoins another built by Christian
Aalvik at the same time. Although this and a building on Whiskey
Street were Lewis’ only commercial buildings, he constructed
many homes that still house Stevenson families…all from
lumber produced at his planing mill along the river.
One of the first electrified buildings in town, this place originally was leased as a hardware store with a small apartment upstairs for the operator. Reportedly, the rest of the second floor was a brothel, with a back staircase that conveniently opened into the alley behind. According to legend, those looking for the local “white lightning” could buy it at the foot of those same stairs.